2.28.2013

Another Cloth Diaper Post!


So, it's been 4.5 months since we've moved 100% into cloth diapers. We have officially been solely using the Bumgenius 4.0's (no more newborn diapes!) for about a month now and I figured I would share our experience and routine.

Alrighty then, first and foremost, I LOVE these diapers! Love, love, love, love, love them! Have I mentioned that I love these diapers??? They are super easy to wash and are so much more trim on Claire than I ever imagined they would/could be {mostly because she's so slender}.

We now wash her diapers using only Nellies Laundry Soda. We still do laundry every other day. First, a cold speed wash without soap. This removes all the nasty stuff! Then we use 2 scoops of Nellies in the whites {hot} wash with an extra rinse. We bleach them once a month, which requires an extra wash with 1 scoop of Nellies. We dry them on our new drying rack overnight, though they typically dry in a few hours. I always rewash the inserts {again} with another load of laundry. This way, they aren't the only thing in the dryer, but they also get extra clean! Who doesn't love extra clean?? {side note: we have an HE machine}

Claire has been diaper rash free for a long time now and I'm so happy we chose to cloth diaper her. The coconut does it's job, that's for sure! I love the feeling of never having to run to the store to get diapers, or keep forking money over to diaper her {especially during our near financial crisis}.

*Note* We used to use Tide HE Powder as a recommendation from an online cloth diaper community, and I would not advise that you use it. I now realize that it caused her newborn diapers to pill {like how a sweater gets the balls on it after you wear it a few times}. This caused them to "fall apart" and leave cotton residue on her bottom. At first I thought it was just the norm, but after using the 4.0's for so long without the pilling {while using the Nellies} I realize it was the soaps fault, not the diapers themselves. Additionally, the fact that they were all-in-one made them hold odors and stains more easily than the 4.0's which is why I'm so happy with the latter.

If you have considered making the switch, it's never to late to start, unless, of course, your child is in the midst of potty training! I would recommend at least trying it because cloth diapering is truly so much more effortless than it seems.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me!

And here's a self-portrait from when I was pregnant with the lil miss. I found it yesterday and although it's super out of focus, I still love it. Oh how I miss that big ol belly!




No comments:

Post a Comment

share some love!